Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Play Dough: For Birthday Gift Emergencies

One challenge of living in a remote location is being creative with last minute birthday party invitations. Getting a call to attend a child's birthday party may happen just a few hours (or minutes) before it begins. No one expects you to take a gift but since giving gifts is fun I try to find something to give the birthday kid.

Swinging by a big box store on the way to the party is just not an option so I'm forced to find other solutions. I am not one bit shy about re-gifting gently used toys or books from my son's toy box. However, if you're not into that sort of thing, a great second option is homemade play dough. Play dough can be made in a matter of minutes with just a few simple ingredients.

Photobucket

All you need is flour, salt, cream of tartar (which I have a lifetime supply of for some reason),

Photobucket

oil, water,

Photobucket

and food coloring.

Photobucket

Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a saucepan.
Pour the colored liquid into the prepared mixture.

Photobucket

I decided I wanted a brighter color so I added more food coloring.

Photobucket

Heat over medium heat and stir, stir, stir until a ball forms. If you're a sissy like me you might need someone to take over the stirring job part way through to give your arm a rest.

Some people add yummy smelling extracts at this point to make the play doh experience even more enjoyable.

Photobucket  Photobucket

Let cool and knead until smooth.

I usually double the following recipe.


Homemade Play Dough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
food coloring
optional: vanilla, peppermint or almond extract

1) Combine flour, salt and cream of tartar in a saucean. In a bowl, put water, oil and food coloring. Gradually stir wet ingredients into the dry ones until mixture is smooth.

2) Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until a ball forms. Remove from stove and cool.

3) Knead the play dough until smooth. Store in an airtight container or Ziplock bag: dough lasts up to four months.

~AnnMarie

2 comments:

James and Charity said...

I use nearly the same recipe and it's a great one!

Charity

srhcb said...

I've made play dough several times, and it's as much fun to make it as is the stuff you can make with it.