Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Very Nice Potato Salad

You might think of potato salad as being a summer time picnic treat. But here in Brevig, potato salad is on the menu for most special occasions. Potatoes and onions are also a common item at the store making this recipe doable for those of us with limited produce options.

Photobucket

In October we celebrate my son's fourth "Gotchya Day" so I decided to make my mom's recipe for potato salad for his special dinner.

Photobucket

I start with this stuff. I have to say I'm a fan of the tangy zip of Miracle Whip versus mayonnaise.

Photobucket

I don't really follow the recipe when it comes to adding the mustard. I just keep adding it until I'm satisfied with the color it gives to the dressing.

Photobucket

Chop up these beautiful ingredients.


Photobucket

And gently mix.

Photobucket

Now for the star of the show.

Photobucket

Peel, boil, chop. A good job to hand over to the husband. Also a good "do ahead" task so the potatoes aren't hot when you add them to the salad. This way you can have a little bowl immediately. Bonus.

Photobucket

Pour the dressing over the chopped vegetables and eggs. A good job to hand over to a child that has been begging to do something to help.

I suggest not adding all of the dressing at once. I don't like my potato salad too drippy and gooey so I add it a little at a time until it's just the right consistency.

Photobucket

It tastes best if it sits for a few hours or over night before serving.

There you go, I hope you will be open to trying new things and consider eating potato salad year-round.

My Mom's Potato Salad Recipe

Ingredients:

Dressing:
1.5 qts Miracle Whip
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 T. mustard (or more)
1/2 c. milk
10 lbs potatoes
one dozen hard boiled eggs
4 stalks celery
1 medium onion
1/3 c. green pepper 


Directions: Cook potatoes, cool. Mix dressing ingredients. Cube potatoes. Chop eggs, celery, onion & pepper. Mix with dressing. You may not wish to add all of the dressing mixture depending on your taste preference. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: