Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Cajun Chicken Pasta a la Pioneer Woman

Chicken and pasta is a staple at our house, so I'm always looking for new ways to recreate it.  The seasoning in this dish made it different than anything else I've tried.


DSC_0964

I started by making my own cajun seasoning.  I used this recipe as my base.  Next time I might use a little less thyme.



DSC_0967

I tossed strips of chicken in the seasoning and then threw them into a pan of hot oil to brown on both sides.   Then I removed the chicken to a plate.

Note to readers: I think you're supposed to go for the cajun blackened look here, but I'm kind of a wimp and was terrified of starting a fire.  I chose to go with the not-so-cajun golden look.



DSC_0969


Do the same thing to some onions and bell peppers.

Note to readers: Again, I completely missed the whole blackened thing.  I think it was because my bell peppers were still partially frozen.

Additional note to readers: I was supposed to season the vegetables with the cajun seasoning prior to cooking them.  I forgot.  I sprinkled the seasoning on later.

Remove the vegetables to a plate.  Add chicken broth to the pan to get all of the good stuff off of the bottom.



DSC_0972


The original recipe calls for heavy cream.  I used the open can of evaporated milk I had in the fridge.



DSC_0973

Whisk together the chicken broth, evaporated milk, and more cajun seasoning.



DSC_0974

The sauce didn't thicken up like it was supposed to, so I added a few forkfuls of corn starch.  That did the trick.

Note to readers: It may be hard to tell, but the sauce in the above picture is definitely thicker than in the previous picture.  Promise.

DSC_0976

Stir the sauce, vegetables, and chicken together over medium heat until bubbly.  Then toss with pasta and enjoy!

No comments: