Monday, October 24, 2011

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

pumpkinsoup

You will need all of the above ingredients plus salt, pepper and baking soda.

pumkinsoup2

Chop one large onion and two carrots. I didn't have any fresh carrots so I used canned which I always have on hand specifically for this recipe. Cooking in the bush requires much planning ahead. I always have powdered eggs too just in case the store is out of real ones. Just a random after though that has nothing to do with this specific recipe.

pumpkinsoup4

Bring the broth, onions and carrots to a boil. Add the baking soda,

pumpkinsoup5

cinnamon, salt and pepper.

pumpkinsoup6

Simmer uncovered for 10 - 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.

Next add the pumpkin and evaporated milk.

pumpkinsoup8

Blend with an immersion blender and simmer for ten additional minutes. Make sure and do this step. I hyped this recipe up to one of my friends, she made it without pureeing it and thought it was a really strange and not all that good of a soup. She'll probably never trust my recommendations again. So puree, it makes the ugly duckling into a beautiful swan.

pumpkinsoup9

It's like pumpkin pie in a bowl, but without any sugar. Add a dollop of sour cream. Perfect for cool fall days.


Original recipe can be found here.
Recipe with some minute changes here.

~AnnMarie

1 comment:

Missy said...

Totally trying this! I have a Halloween pumpkin on the executioner's block as we speak...