Monday, October 31, 2011

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

DSC_0104


These cookies may not look exciting, but they're good.  Very good.

I have a stockpile of whole wheat flour.  My husband mocks it.  I haven't been very good about using it, but when this recipe showed up on a couple of my favorite food blogs, I knew that my whole wheat flour's time had come.

The recipe is pretty specific.  Usually that bothers me.  I'm much more of a cook than a baker because I don't like to be precise.  For some unknown reason, I decided to be exact this time.  Okay, okay.  "Exact" is probably overstating it.  I didn't sift the dry ingredients, I used chocolate chips instead of chocolate chunks, and I tinkered with the baking time.  But I did everything else.  Promise.





DSC_0105

Mix the whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt in a bowl.  Set aside.



DSC_0098

Cream cold, unsalted cubed butter and brown and white sugar.



DSC_0101

Add two eggs one at a time.



DSC_0103

And some vanilla.



DSC_0104

Mix.




DSC_0106

Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.



DSC_0107

I'm a little embarrassed to admit to the whole Internet that we buy chocolate chips in seventy-two ounce bags...



DSC_0109

The finished dough.

The original recipe calls for the cookies to bake at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes.  That seems a little long to me.  I've baked the cookies two ways: for twelve minutes and nine minutes.  Twelve minutes turned out cookies that were a little crunchy but not over-baked.  Nine minutes turned out cookies that were soft in the middle.  I prefer my cookies soft, so lately I've used nine minutes, although I do let the cookies stay on the cookies sheet for about five minutes after they come out of the oven.

Beautiful, delicious cookies with a hint of salt and a fulness of flavor from the whole wheat! 

No comments: