Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Blueberry Breakfast Bake

bluebake22

My very favorite weekend breakfast food is this little dish. I involves a few steps but is well worth it in my opinion.


brbake1

It starts with one large baguette. The store doesn't carry baguettes so I make my own. I cheat a little by making the dough in the bread maker.

brbake2


When the dough is done in the bread machine, form into baguette shapes and let raise until doubled. I'm sure placing the loaves on a cookie sheet would work fine if you don't have baguette pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes.



brbake3


Once the bread has cooled, cut into one inch thick slices. Cut enough to cover the bottom of a 9 X 13 in buttered pan. I have C.O. do the cutting since his ability to slice uniformly is a thousand times better than mine.


brbake4

Whisk together 6 eggs, 3 c. of milk, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp. vanilla and 3/4 c brown sugar. Pour evenly over bread. Cover and chill mixture until all liquid is absorbed by the bread, at least 8 hours. In other words, I do the steps up until now on Saturday and continue the rest on Sunday morning.

brbake5




Roughly chop one cup of pecans.




I buy various nuts in bulk during the summer months. I store my bags and bags of nuts in the freezer so they last longer.

brbake6

Toast the pecans (walnuts or almonds also work well) in some butter and a sprinkling of salt until nice and brown.



brbake8


Sprinkle one cup of locally grown tundra blueberries and toasted pecans over the bread mixture.

Cut 1/2 stick butter into pieces and in a small saucepan heat with 1/4 cup brown sugar, stirring, until butter is melted. Drizzle butter mixture over bread.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the bread is golden brown and puffed up nicely.


bluebake11


I have to stop myself from taking thirds.


The complete and printable recipe can be found here.

~AnnMarie


No comments: