Friday, September 2, 2011

Just Another Sunday Dinner: Cauliflower, Pork Chops, and Salad

I don't really have anything exotic or exciting to share, but this is a pretty typical Sunday dinner for us.







DSC_0777


It started with some cauliflower.  I know, I know, cauliflower is one of those unglamorous vegetables with a fairly high yuck-factor, but I've been in love with roasted vegetable recipes ever since I found an earth-shattering broccoli recipe.  (I'll take pictures and share it next time I make it.  It will make your heart flutter.)  Roasted broccoli with garlic was so good that when I came across a recipe for roasted cauliflower, and the store had fresh cauliflower THE EXACT SAME WEEK, I knew I was destined to make it.






DSC_0778


I poured some olive oil over the cauliflower.

Note to readers: Steve and I have gone through over two liters of olive oil this school year.  Is this unhealthy?






DSC_0779


I added whole garlic cloves.  (They're kind of hard to see, but they're there, I promise.)






DSC_0781


As far as Steve is concerned, this is the secret ingredient: bacon.  (Or, more accurately, bacon bits.  You know, the real kind.  The hefty chunks of bacon in a ziploc bag you buy at warehouse stores.)






DSC_0782


Sprinkle it all with kosher salt, throw it in the oven, and out comes...






DSC_0812


this.  And, yup, it tastes as good as it looks (unless you think it looks nasty, in which case it tastes much better than it looks).  Steve and I polished off an entire bunch of cauliflower.  By ourselves.







DSC_0786


But, the cauliflower was only a supporting character to the porkchops.  I have a really good recipe for pork chops with a creamed herb sauce, but I wanted to try something sans sauce.  One of my favorite food blogs posted a simple pork chop recipe, I got right on it (this was kind of a week of food blog providence).

I started the pork chops with rosemary...






DSC_0787


brown sugar...






DSC_0789


cumin and pepper.






DSC_0790


Then mixed it all up on a paper plate because I was too lazy to wash a real dish.





DSC_0798


I coated the pork chop with the mixture and threw it in a hot frying pan with some olive oil (see, I use it in everything).






DSC_0805


A few minutes on each side, and it was done.  I was kind of embarrassed by the blackened parts, but they tasted really good, so now I display this picture with pride.






DSC_0804


Tossed a quick salad with dried cranberries, pistachios, and blue cheese.  Mmmmm, mmmmmm, mmmmm.

I love Sundays...

No comments: