Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bruschetta

Whenever I get fresh tomatoes I make bruschetta.  It's one of my favorite things in the world.  My initial attempts at bruschetta were inspired by these recipes, but now I just throw the ingredients together without measuring anything.  I taste it and add more of whatever I think it needs.

DSC_0471

For this batch, I used half of a large tomato.




DSC_0473

Chop the tomato into small pieces.



DSC_0478

Fresh basil (significantly less than we needed for the pesto).



DSC_0481

I rolled the basil up and sliced it into tiny pieces with my kitchen shears.



DSC_0507

If you don't have fresh basil, you can use the dried stuff.



DSC_0483

One clove of garlic.  I like mine garlicky.  If you don't, choose a small clove of garlic.



DSC_0485

I grated the garlic into the other ingredients.



DSC_0497

Extra-virgin olive oil (use the good stuff because it's not going to get cooked)...



DSC_0487

And two splashes of white wine vinegar.



DSC_0498

Stir it all up.



DSC_0503

Slice some baguettes (I'll post my baguette recipe when I figure out how to make nice looking baguettes. Mine are fine for slicing, but they're kind of ugly by themselves).  I used eight slices.



DSC_0509

Toast the baguette slices lightly on both sides.  I used a toaster oven.



DSC_0510

Drizzle the toasted slices with extra-virgin olive oil...



DSC_0512

And top with the tomato mixture.  Sprinkle with salt, and you're ready to enjoy!  I eat these as a meal, but they're also great as appetizers.

No comments: