Friday, September 9, 2011

Simple Garlic Spaghetti

It was a Friday evening. I was tired. I was also hungry. I didn't want to resort to the Steve specialty (chili mac), so I went looking for a simple recipe. I found one for Garlic, Pepper, and Olive Oil Spaghetti.


DSC_0293.JPG

Like most Italian recipes, this one began with a glug of olive oil in a frying fan. Looking good so far.



DSC_0296.JPG

While the oil heated, I started a pot full of spaghetti (this fine brand of spaghetti brought to you by the Anchorage Bush Delivery Wal-Mart).




DSC_0299.JPG

Also like good Italian recipes, this one called for a healthy dose of garlic. I added it to the hot oil.



DSC_0304.JPG

The garlic started sizzling immediately. Unfortunately, at this exact moment I was unable to locate a clean spatula (DARNIT!), so I lamely shook the pan full of hot oil and frying garlic. As you can see, my shaking method resulted in clumps of garlic definitely not spread evenly through the oil.



DSC_0306.JPG

My problems were complicated when I went to add the spiciness. The recipe called for a whole red chili. I had no fresh red chilies, so I had to use chili powder. I was trying to figure out how much chili powder equals one fresh chili. For once, switcheroo.com failed me, and I was forced to guess. Meanwhile, my garlic was continuing to char in the oil.



DSC_0307.JPG

Hmmmm... Is this what the recipe meant when it said "gently cook?" I doubt it.



DSC_0308.JPG

I added it to the spaghetti and tossed it around.



DSC_0313.JPG

This is the final product, topped with parmesan and parsley.

Final verdict: good simple meal. Perfect in a hurry.








No comments: